This game was released on November 15, 2011 and is no longer available to pre-order. Any incentives that were offered are listed below.
Need for Speed: The Run is the next installment in the seemingly endless NFS series from EA. This new racer is developed by EA Black Box and uses Frostbite 2, the much-touted graphics engine of Battlefield 3. The game is said to feature on-foot scenes and a cinematic storyline.
Need for Speed: The Run centers around an illicit street race across the US, in various settings ranging from urban to desert and icy mountains. The story follows protagonist Jack Rourke (voiced by Sean Faris) who is in debt to the Mob and has to win the Run – the titular race from San Francisco to New York – to pay them off. In the best traditions of Hot Pursuit, he will have to do that while being chased by both the Mob and the police.
Other notable features include unlockable cars and challenges, online matches for up to 16 players, and improved Autolog network for sharing your progress with friends. One of the downsides of The Run is that it won’t offer any car customization.
NFS: The Run preorder bonuses
All Xbox 360, PS3 and PC preorders get an automatic upgrade to the Limited Edition which includes three supercars (Lamborghini Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, and the new Porsche 911 Carrera S) as well as five exclusive challenges. See the cars in action in the Limited Edition preview video below:
In addition to the Limited Edition bonuses, there are three retailer-exclusive preorder incentives as well – namely Need for Speed: The Run Underground Challenge Series, Carbon Challenge Series, and Most Wanted Challenge Series:
- Amazon: $10 store credit (consoles only) and exclusive Underground Challenge Series which unlocks two more cars (Nissan 370Z and Nissan Skyline GT-R), and three bonus events inspired by Need for Speed: Underground.
- Gamestop: PowerUp Rewards exclusive Most Wanted Challenge Pack with two bonus cars (BMW M3 GTS and Ford Mustang Boss 302) and three racing challenges inspired by Need for Speed Most Wanted.
- Origin: exclusive Carbon Challenge Series for fans of Need for Speed: Carbon. Includes Corvette Z06 and Audi R8 cars, as well as three Carbon-themed events.
- Amazon: Most Wanted Challenge Series
- Play.com: Underground Challenge Series
- TheHut / Zavvi: Carbon Challenge Series
Finally, according to the official Playstation Blog, PS3 players will be getting 7 supercars right off the bat (Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, Hennessey Venom GT, Gumpert Apollo S, Lamborghini Countach QV5000, Koenigsegg Agera R, Lexus LFA, and Porsche Carrera GT).
Need for Speed: The Run TV commercial
This promotional video was directed by the world-famous action movie director, Michael Bay. No Transformers are involved, but the video does feature some impressive car chases, and perhaps a tad less impressive scenes of Jack fleeing the police on foot:
The race for your life starts on November 15 in North America and November 18 in Europe.
Check out our other upcoming racing games and upcoming pc games.