This game was released on October 25, 2011 and is no longer available to pre-order. Any incentives that were offered are listed below.
Firefly Studios seems to be going back to the roots of the franchise with Stronghold 3, taking more inspiration from the first game than from the not-so-successful Stronghold 2. Sure, there are major improvements in the graphics and physics departments, as well as in enemy AI. However, the game should play more like Stronghold 1 – meaning less micromanagement, and more castle-building (and attacking) fun. Even the single-player campaign is a sequel to the original, featuring a return of the Wolf.
The game does offer a number of new features and improvements. For example, the building system will give you a lot more control than before, and the map editor should be powerful enough to create detailed replicas of real castles. The online aspect of Stronghold 3 (which uses Steamworks platform) will include a global, as well as local, ranking system. Finally, for some medieval fun, you will be able to chuck a wider variety of diseased animals at your enemies – including the fan-voted badgers.
Stronghold 3 pre-order bonuses
Preorder Stronghold 3 before the launch to receive the original Stronghold game (2001) and / or some extra maps:
- Gamestop: the original Stronghold 1 game and Warwick Castle Pack. The famous castle has a rich 900 year history and features two gun towers, murder holes, two drawbridges and one of the most feared and notorious dungeons in the world.
- Amazon: $10 promotional credit.
- GAME: the aforementioned Warwick Castle map.
Digital distributors (worldwide)
- Direct2Drive: the original Stronghold and Edinburgh Castle map: “Standing on the plug of an extinct volcano, Edinburgh Castle began its life as a royal palace. Over the years, the castle has been besieged countless times, sometimes defending itself, sometimes not, but always remaining standing.”
- Steam: the first Stronghold game and a Tower of London map: “Founded in 1066 and built by William the Conqueror, the majestic Tower still rises above the Thames. Even though the violent years are long gone, an aura of death and medieval torture remains.”
Several other digital distribution platforms (GamersGate, GreenManGaming, GetGames) are giving away the first Stronghold game with Stronghold 3 preorders as well, but it looks like no exclusive maps are offered.
Stronghold 3 screenshots
The game utilizes Trinigy Vision engine (same as used in Settlers 7) and Havok physics. System requirements can be found on the official website.
Stronghold 3 is set to release on October 25th worldwide, published by Southpeak Games.